The peaksaver PLUS® program is now over.
Here's what you need to know.
The peaksaver PLUS® program was an overwhelming success. A community of more than 315,000 participating homes and businesses across Ontario made a contribution to the fight against climate change while improving the reliability of our electricity system. Although the province-wide program is now concluded, Alectra Utilities is introducing a new local program that functions exactly the same as peaksaver PLUS®. If you want to continue being part of the community that helps fight climate change, please visit AdvantagePlanet.ca.
- peaksaver PLUS® and its predecessor, peaksaver, were energy conservation programs available for residential customers and small businesses to help reduce the demand for electricity on hot summer weekdays. This was done by temporarily adjusting the load of central air conditioners as well as electric water heaters and swimming pool pumps. Homeowners and small businesses who elected to participate in these programs received a free programmable thermostat that was capable of receiving signals to cycle the operation of the air conditioning system for short periods. For electric water heaters and pool pumps, an electric switch was installed to control the operation of this equipment.
- peaksaver PLUS® has been in operation in Ontario since 2005. It has helped the province save energy and fight climate change for over 10 years. While this program has come to an end, Alectra Utilities is continuing to manage peak demand to benefit both the provincial and local grid. Advantage Planet is Alectra’s new program that functions similarly to the peaksaver PLUS® program. Visit AdvantagePlanet.ca to learn more.
- Across Ontario there were more than 315,000 participating homes and businesses in peaksaver PLUS®. Within the service area of Alectra there were approximately 89,000 participants.
- Your peaksaver PLUS® thermostat will continue to operate as any other programmable thermostat, although you will no longer be able to access it on-line to program it remotely. If you wish to continue having access to the thermostat online, you may be able to do so by continuing with Alectra’s Advantage Planet program. Please visit AdvantagePlanet.ca for more information.
- The operation of your electric water heater or pool pump will not change.
- Alectra is no longer able to adjust your air conditioning system, electric water heater or pool pump. If you wish to continue helping save energy and fighting climate change by allowing your air conditioning consumption to be reduced during periods of peak electricity demand, you may be able to do so by enrolling in Alectra’s Advantage Planet program. Please visit AdvantagePlanet.ca for more information.
- Your peaksaver PLUS® thermostat will continue to operate as any other programmable thermostat. If you do want to replace it, you can install any other programmable or smart thermostat that is compatible with your heating and air conditioning system. We recommend you check with a qualified heating and air conditioning dealer to determine what thermostats may be best for you.
- Through Alectra’s Advantage Power Pricing program, you may be eligible to receive a free installed smart thermostat or a $75 incentive by registering your purchased smart thermostat. Visit advantagepowerpricing.com for more details.
- If you heat your home with natural gas, incentives for new thermostats may be available from your natural gas utility (Enbridge Gas or Union Gas).