Energy Saving Tips
Check out our list of easy to do energy saving tips and make your home more energy efficient without sacrificing your comfort. At Alectra, we’re always looking for ways to help you live more comfortably through energy efficiency.
Heating and Cooling
During winter, open your curtains during the day to let in the sun. Close them at night to keep heat in.
Do the reverse on cool summer days.
- Tighten leaky taps or replace gaskets.
- Put timers on pool pumps and hot tubs to run them less.
- Install programmable thermostats.
- Program lower temperatures on your thermostat for when you’re away or asleep.
- Install low-flow showerheads and take short showers, not baths.
- Choose energy-efficient windows when retrofitting or renovating.
- Add or upgrade insulation in your home.
- If your house is drafty, seal up cracks and holes with caulking and weatherstripping.
- During winter, open your curtains during the day to let in the sun. Close them at night to keep heat in.
- Dry your clothes outside or on an indoor rack near a sunny window.
- Use the cold or warm water washer setting whenever possible. Always rinse with cold water.
- Clean the lint trap in your dryer after every load.
- Add a dry towel to your dryer to spread moisture around.
- When drying multiple loads, don’t wait between them, so the dryer doesn’t cool down.
- Use an electric kettle to boil water instead of the stove. Only boil what you need.
- Use a microwave or toaster oven instead of the oven to heat food.
- To avoid generating heat indoors during summer months, use the barbeque not the stove.
- Don’t overfill the fridge. Keep the freezer full instead.
- Vacuum the coils and clean the door seal on your fridge so that it closes tightly.
- Only run your dishwasher when it’s full, and be sure to use the shortest (econo) cycle.
Air-dry dishes instead of using the dishwasher heating element.
- Turn up the temperature in the fridge by a few degrees.
- Use low wattage lights where you can.
- Take advantage of natural light as much as possible.
- Replace old lighting with LEDs, including holiday lights.
- Use non-dimming motion sensors or timers for exterior lights.
- Choose ENERGY STAR® qualified appliances, air conditioners and electronics.
- Unplug power adapters when not in use.
- Unplug devices that are remote-controlled, have digital clocks, or a coloured light.